Trust Women Foundation > Clinics > Seattle Clinic > Patient Care Services > Abortion
We know this is a difficult time.
You can trust us.
Medication Abortion (Aborto)
Medication abortion is the ingestion of medications to bring about the end of a pregnancy early in the gestational cycle. Trust Women Seattle Clinic in Washington provides medication abortions up to 70 days into pregnancy. The medications used are 95 percent effective.
The cost of medication abortion care through 70 days is $650.
Medication abortions consist of three steps:
- For medication abortion care, your physician will give you a pill called Mifeprex at the time of your appointment. This pill works by blocking progesterone. This causes the lining of the uterus to break down, and your pregnancy will end soon after.
- You also will be given a second medicine, Misoprostol, to take 24 to 36 hours after you’ve taken the first pill. This medication will cause your uterus to empty. You will experience cramps and heavy bleeding, usually lasting a few hours. You may see large blood clots or tissue. It is normal to have some bleeding or spotting for up to four weeks after the procedure.
- Follow up: You must return for your follow-up appointment 14 to 21 days after you take the second pill. This is necessary to ensure your abortion is complete. In the event that your abortion failed, you will need to discuss the next step with your physician.
Surgical Abortion (Aborto)
Surgical abortions are administered in the clinic. Trust Women Seattle, which is located downtown, offers both surgical and medication abortions. The base cost of surgical abortion care up to 11.6 weeks LMP is $650. The base cost of surgical abortion care through 13.6 weeks LMP is $750. Please contact us at 206-625-0202 for the cost of a surgical abortion after 14.0 weeks. Typically, abortion procedures up to 18.0 weeks can be completed in a single-day appointment. After 18.0 weeks, a 2-day procedure is required. However, physician discretion may be taken into consideration. Please call us directly for more information on post 18.0 week procedures or with any other question you may have. Our Seattle clinic provides abortion care up to 24.0 weeks gestation.
During an aspiration procedure:
- Your physician will perform an exam that will include an ultrasound.
- You may be given medications for pain or for sedation.
- A speculum will be inserted into your vagina.
- Your health care provider may inject a numbing medication into or near your cervix.
- The opening of your cervix may be stretched with dilators — a series of increasingly thick rods.
- A tube will be inserted through the cervix into the uterus. Either a hand-held suction device or a suction machine will gently empty your uterus.
- Sometimes, an instrument called a curette will be used to remove any remaining tissue that lines the uterus. It also may be used to check that the uterus is empty. When a curette is used, people often call the abortion a D&C — dilation and curettage.
- Please note: aspiration procedure takes about 5 to 10 minutes. But more time may be needed to prepare your cervix. Time also is needed for talking with your provider about the procedure, a physical exam, reading and signing forms, counseling and a recovery period of about 1 hour.